10 Things To Do Before Moving
Updated: Apr 7, 2021
Packing up and moving all your belongings to a new home whether you are moving to Jacksonville, Orlando or Tallahassee, Florida, it can be a daunting task. Especially if there are a lot of moving parts at play. So we crafted a list of 10 Things You Should Do Before Moving.
1. Find Your Perfect Place. This one is pretty obvious but you do need to have a space to move into! While looking for the perfect place, keep in mind the aspects that are most important to you. Good schools nearby, work commute, nearby amenities, etc. If you’re moving into a new development be sure to research the company that built the homes.
2. Finalize Your Moving date. Consider your current lease agreement, the start date of a new job or a new school year. Depending on where you’re relocating to, you’ll also need to take into account the weather during the time period you’re looking to move as well.
3. Reduce Your Moving Load. Go through your possessions and decide what you want to keep and what you want to discard. Only keep the things that have sentimental value, items you think are beautiful/bring you joy, items you use regularly, and important documents. You'll thank yourself once you start packing boxes!
4. Get rid of your discarded items. Have a garage sale or donate to your favorite organizations. Some will even come and pick up your items! Getting rid of the extra “weight” before your move will make the process that much easier.
5. Decide if you want to hire a moving company or do it yourself. Keep in mind that when people decide not to hire a moving company, they are unaware of the hidden costs of moving yourself until it’s too late.
Hidden costs include:
- Packing materials. Make sure you have all the needed items for moving like boxes, packing tape, packing paper, bubble wrap, and boxes.
- Property damage. If you don’t pack your items properly, or use the appropriate moving equipment, you could damage your items, or your new (or old) home.
- Injury. If you’re moving yourself, please practice safety and proper moving equipment to protect yourself and anyone helping you to move.
- Food and drink. If you’re moving yourself and you’ve secured the help of friends or family to help you move, please keep in mind that it’s hard work to move! You should plan on purchasing food and drinks for those helping you.
6. Choose your movers. If you’ve decided to reduce your moving risks and go with professional movers. Be sure to look up reviews (link), ask for recommendations and ask for a quote. Experienced Movers is one of Florida’s highest rated moving companies. If you’re looking for Tallahassee movers, Jacksonville movers or Orlando movers, we are the company for you!
7. Retrieve and organize important documents. These can include property-related and financial docs, school records and important medical records. Organize and file and keep in a place that is easily accessible.
8. Change of Address. Choose when to have your mail forwarded to a new address. You’ll also need to inform your friends and family, doctors, schools, employers, etc. of your move and/or new address.
9. Make a Utilities list. Find out the companies you’ll be switching to in your new location for water, electricity, and gas. Contact your current providers and be sure to have it cancelled on your move out day and set up your new utilities for your move in day.
10. Clean your old apartment/home. It’s always a great idea to clean up really well after you’ve moved everything out. You’ll want your security deposit back, or you’ll have your old space on the market soon and you’ll want to attract potential buyers.
We hope you’ve found this list helpful for your big move. If you need help packing and/or moving, give us a call at (850) 321-5898 or request a quote here. Make your next move, your best move with Experienced movers.